Wednesday, March 26, 2014

I've Been Haunted By Humans

I don't think I've ever not had a blast at a New Haven house/DIY show, across dozens of shows and 7 or 8 different venues, so this one was no different... in fact, it was probably more fun than all of the others, since it was scrunched up next to the washer/dryer (see pics, they're around here somewhere) and there was a fire pit in the back yard (as most New Haven backyards seem to have) and the house itself was super-neat and had a bunch of cool flyers tacked up on the living room wall of shows I've actually been to, so it was like a memory flashback... anyway, Estrogen Highs played as a trio without Wes, who was off working or fucking around somewhere, so they decided to throw all of their songs down the toilet and play them with a bunch of feedback and extended improv parts and so forth, and it sounded GREAT. The songs played were "Supposing View", "Alley Man", "Weed Queen", "It Has To Rhyme", and a couple of new ones; I might have one of the songs wrong, but fuckit, two people are gonna read this, so I don't think it matters. I remember thinking to myself, "man, why haven't they been playing all of these songs like this in the first place?" It's kinda neat when a band is able to pull their own songs apart to see what other stuff is inside them -- I saw Estrogen Highs do the same thing at Discovery Zone with Chip once, and maybe Cafe Nine or one other time, though that might've been just because they were all plastered -- and still have it sound like a good time, instead of a mess. Blessed State's set was plagued by sound and mic problems and Andrew cut his hand open after the first couple of songs and started bleeding all over himself, but y'know, it still wasn't bad and Kiana's Negative Approach shirt ruled. I finally figured out that the new slower one isn't a long song at all (must've been putting two songs together in my head the last time), so now I'm thinking they should just put everything up on Bandcamp and start selling digital albums that way instead of waiting for them to be pressed up, because I'm dying to hear this stuff in a proper form -- unless the tracks still haven't been mastered yet, I mean, what the fuck do I know about these things. I can't even write a coherent paragraph, and that's supposedly my main hobby.












1 comment:

johnnybgoode said...

i liked this blessed state song - thanks for posting