Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Should've Been There By Now


Somewhat quietly last month, Mark Edwards released a new My Dad Is Dead CD--or, quietly to me, at least, since I didn't know about it until I got an e-mail about a week ago. Folks of a certain age will easily recognize some of the names involved here-- Brian Paulson produced, with original Prisonshake drummer Scott Pickering once again on drums-- but above all, this is a quality pack of songs. The one I've been kicking it with the most is the title track, "A New Clear Route", but you can listen to all the tracks over at the My Dad Is Dead web site and decide for yourself. You can buy the CD through the web site, too, and while you're at it, there's a whole bunch of other neat things on the site you can find if you hunt around (like a Peel Session "Hurry Up" with Doug Gillard on guitar, for instance).


My Dad Is Dead -

(this file is now listen-only)

"A New Clear Route"


4 comments:

Bruce said...

NICE! I Love MDID!

theneedledrop said...

surprised to see these guys are still kicking!

panzan said...

"Folks of a certain age..."

One of my favorite weekends was road tripping to Columbus via Detroit for a My Dad Is Dead/Karl Hendricks Trio show, 1996-ish. It was Memorial Day weekend. I caught Kim Salmon & the Surrealists in the Motor City on Saturday. Then - hungover and fueled by microwaved White Castle - we hit the road for Columbus, catching the Indy 500 on teh radio along the way, and hit the "club" way early. They had a restaurant at street level with the bar and stage downstairs. I forget the name of the club but it was great. We drank the bar dry of Black Label bottles (I never even knew that shit was bottled!) before the first band turned up. We watched the Penguins hold their own and force a seventh game against Florida in the Eastern Conference Finals during the Panthers' infamous Rat Trick run for the Cup. I played pool with - unbeknownst to me at the time - the late great Jim Sheppard.

I can't remember what my 2-year old ate for dinner tonight, but I remember that weekend like it was happening right now.

And I gotta say, Mark Edwards was over the hill back then. Glad to see he hasn't retired completely.

Brushback said...

Wow, that sounds awesome.Punk rock, racing, and hockey all in one weekend-- that's my kind of deal.