Friday, June 5, 2009

I've Got No Wish To Go Back In Time

click for enlarged view

Another revved-up Aussie chunk of rock, and while hindsight has shown that this isn't quite up to the "rulin' pop-punk" tag I'd scrawled on the copy that used to hang in Walt's store (a buddy of mine and I used to write "helpful" descriptions on all the punk records back in the late '80s-- you shoulda seen it, some of them were pretty hilarious), it's still a pretty hot-sounding record. A more accurate description would be to say that this is more along the likes of Doctors' Mob than, say, the Hard-Ons, but the way the needle kept getting buried while I was ripping this thing, you'd think it was Crucifix or something.

I think I've got one other Happy Hate Me Nots single-- though I'd have to hunt a while to find it-- plus a copy of their 1988 "Out" LP on vinyl; if you want to check out the album right now, you can do that here, thanks to the always-crafty Wilfully Obscure.

click for enlarged view

Happy Hate Me Nots -

"Salt, Sour and Brighton"

(This file is now listen-only. Plus, again, Blogger does such a terrible job transferring reds; look at
the sleeve photo in the above link, and you'll see what the scan should really look like)



click for enlarged view


11 comments:

panzan said...

hopeful request - this seems like something you might have. Small - Makes Me High 7" with one of my favorite songs of all time "Somebody Owes Me Money" I am going to make this request at a few other blogs so if you see it repeated don't worry, I am not a bot. Thanks!

Brushback said...

That's gotta be on Alias, right? I've got at least four Small singles, but not that one.

panzan said...

Willfully Obscure is going to put it up hopefully, if you follow that blog.

Brushback said...

Yup, I check out Wilfully Obscure practically every day.

Jere said...

"a buddy of mine and I used to write "helpful" descriptions on all the punk records back in the late '80s"

So you were to Brass City what Bruce was to Trash? It'd be funny to have a battle of the descriptions, where you'd find the same record from both stores and compare what you each wrote on it.

Jere said...

That Willfully Obscure guy says he was born in Danbury. I was born there, too (but only because there was no hospital in my town). Do I know him? Okay, do you know him?

Brushback said...

I knew "Spavid" was born in Danbury because he'd mentioned it on one of his Monsterland posts, but that's all I know. I think he lives in Buffalo now.

So I guess now I can say that Bruce stole his idea to write on records from me...

Bruce Weasel said...

I drew on my Chipmunks LP in '66, rookie!

I think the funniest description I ever wrote on a record at TRASH was on a RAPED TEENAGERS LP, and it said "Nice Kids!!"

Though once I drew whiskers on one of The Shaggs and lo and behold...she looked exactly like Fudd!

Chris said...

Never heard of this band before but I'm really digging this powerpop.

Brushback said...

Hey, Chris!

Brushback said...

The mp3 file on this post is now a listen-only (non-downloadable) file. It's now being hosted on my Vox account (accesible through any of the listen-only links on this blog), along with the flip side of this single ("Inside") which I ripped but didn't include in the original post.

As usual, for anyone who missed the boat, I will do my best to respond to e-mailed requests for the original files.