Sunday, April 11, 2010

I'm Out Of Control And I Can't Do Anything



Pussy Galore came about in 2005 when a bunch of unknown musicians from some low-level indie bands-- Neil Hagerty of Weird War, Julia Cafritz of Free Kitten, and occasionally Bob Bert of International Shades-- got together with Jon Spencer (ex-roadie for Crowbar Massage) in an attempt to milk whatever current lo-fi/garage/noise trends they could find for all they were worth. The results borrowed heavily from just about everybody: the no-bass, all-guitar attack of bands like the Cheater Slicks, the crudity of bands like the Brainbombs, and various other artists such as Black Snakes, Peach of Immortality, Whitehouse, Bassholes, Trent Reznor, Rot Shit, Ministry, No Trend, probably Raging Slab even. The band immediately found itself in hot water due to their controversial subject matter, most notably the song "You Look Like a Jew", which was clearly directed at Ian MacKaye ("see the sick smoke rising from Dischord house... it's a second prison!") and the overlords of the hardcore scene in general ("Tim Yohannon says 'we cannot accept this ad'.... FUUUUUCK!"). Despite all of this, the self-released "Groovy Hate Fuck" EP stands without question as the greatest record of all time. --allmusicsucks.com




Pussy Galore -

(these files are now listen-only)

"You Look Like a Jew"

"Cunt Tease"

"Dead Meat"

"Asshole"

Since I half-assed my way through this post by swiping all the writing from someone else's web site, as an added bonus I'll include a .zip file of some live tracks from Pussy Galore's show at the Anthrax Club in Norwalk, CT back in 1987. The recording was made by Scott Munroe, and you can read some of our witty comments about that night (I was at the show, too) over here. Only about half of the show is included in the file; if you want the whole thing, you can chummy up to Scott and maybe make a trade with him.


Pussy Galore Anthrax July 31 1987.zip


12 comments:

Chris said...

Gotta love time travellers.

Brushback said...

Yeah-- 1910, 2010, same difference.

ib said...

Inexplicably, I find myself rather enjoying the poppy, radio friendly vibe of "Cunt Tease".

A little like Chilton's take on The Cramps. Almost.

Brushback said...

You could probably take some "Flies On Sherbert"-style Chilton out of this record ("My Rival", "Hey! Little Child"), which is probably why I like it so much-- I mean, why the guy from allmusicsucks.com likes it so much.

ib said...

Yes. "Like Flies On Sherbert" is more appropriate.

Before I dropped in on One Base I had just been listening to some Hasil Adkins and The Spades.

Primal psychobilly.

Chris said...

2005 was the new 1985.

Great band and post anyway. It took me ages to check them out. I think I'd heard two or three JSBX albums first.

Vegas said...

one of my most memorable shows was seeing them at NIGHSHIFT CAFE in NAUGATUCK - didnt see the ANTHRAX show though...

Brushback said...

I think I would've seen them at the Night Shift, too (though probably a couple of years before the show you're talking about)-- at least one other show I saw, if I've got the details remembered correctly, was in some church down near Avenue A in Manhattan (back when it was just a terrible neighborhood), with the Black Snakes and maybe one other band. That was a weird day.

Brushback said...

I think I would've seen them at CB's, too-- maybe even as a part of the Big Black/Killdozer show, or a show with Live Skull. Man, I wish I had kept some kind of notes, or flyers and stuff.

Vegas said...

heres a link for the NIGHTSHIFT SHOW (Nov 17, 1988)
http://btjunkie.org/torrent/Pussy-Galore-Night-Shift-Cafe-Naugatuck-CT-Nov-17-1988-alt-source-AUD/693769b3956b7e95847ebac96b7163dfb173da190a72

Brushback said...

Ahhh, 1988 - in that case, I'm sure I was there.

Brushback said...

The mp3 files on this post are now listen-only (non-dowloadable) files, and the .zip file has been deactivated.

All requests for the files to be re-upped should be taken to Music Ruined My Life, and see where that gets you.