Sunday, February 27, 2011

I Should've Been Born Alone



If there was anything positive about having a bunch of crappy bands play before Pissed Jeans last night, it was that it gave me a lot of extra time to go through all the used boxes of 7"-ers that Redscroll brought along with them. I ended up with a whole bunch of good stuff for cheap, including the one-sided Homostupids 7" on Richie, and a Death Penis EP (yes, Death Penis) that I didn't even know existed... Pissed Jeans started off with Matt booming out the opening verse to Stone Temple Pilots "Dead and Bloated" ("I aaammm smelling like a rose..."), and then they immediately tore into their set, which was a total barn-burner to be sure. Standing on the stage meant that I was behind the PA, which made it harder to hear the vocals, but it also put me right in front of the guitar amps, making the whole set sound like one glorious ass-heavy riff after another. I guess a lot of people like to say that Pissed Jeans are channeling Flipper and Drunks With Guns, which I think misses the mark a bit, because their use of hard rock riffs goes well beyond either of those bands. I think Pissed Jeans are more aligned with stuff like Thee Hydrogen Terrors, or maybe Unsane Lite when they're at their noisiest... I'm not sure if they did any covers; one of the songs towards the end almost sounded like "Whole Lotta Rosie" sped up (which would be totally killer if they actually tried it), but without the vocals it wasn't easy to tell... The two rips I'm posting here are from their first two LPs; I'm picking "A Bad Wind" as one of them mostly because some little twerp once told me it sounded like something off Nirvana's "Bleach". Motherfucker.


Pissed Jeans -

"Little Sorrell"

"A Bad Wind"

















8 comments:

sonny house said...

Ya know, I love Flipper and Drunks with Guns, but from one perspective, they ain't close to Pissed Jeans. These guys are the rare "heavy fucking band" to actually weave melodies in there- and they're funnier and smarter than shit, for wee bucks (me being ancient). A+ on the Pissed Jeans' love. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna blast "Sacrifice" and drink some just one more before the gulag.

Brushback said...

Some good points there. Hey, Flipper's "Sacrifice" might even sound like a Pissed Jeans song if the tempo was two or three times as fast.

sonny house said...

all incoherency provided by your friend Mr. IPA- now on to King of Jeans and more breaking of furniture

Brushback said...

King of Jeans is great, I love it for how loud and full it sounds. Shallow is still my favorite Pissed Jeans record, though.

Brian said...

Did you catch SOFX (Book Slave bros + Shanholtzer)? They're cool, but apparently someone had to confront them in the green room. "Uhhh, that's Pissed Jeans' food."

Brushback said...

I got there too late for SOFX. Saw some pictures, though. Tried to avoid hearing any End of a Year and Hostage Calm, with only moderate success. Forgot to mention that I think I saw Brian Sinclair.

The bands got free food? BIG TIME

Brian said...

If you think that's big time, I have some of the payment figures for this. Axe me next time I see ya.

Brushback said...

Oh, man-- lotsa career punks up in here. BEN WEASEL