Sunday, December 21, 2008

You'll Never Start At The Same Time


Buzzcocks, Belgium, March '79 (photos: Philippe Carly)

There was a time when "Singles Going Steady" was one of the records that everyone in the scene had a copy of, and if you didn't own it, you were pretty much a freshman. I'm not sure if that's still the same now, but whatever. Here's a soundboard-quality live tape of the Buzzcocks in Holland (3/2/79) that I got from Scott Munroe about 20 years ago; it's only three songs, so maybe it was bootlegged onto a 7" at one point. It's definitely from a radio broadcast because you can hear the DJ cutting-in in Dutch at the end of "Promises".

Also, a shout out to Scott, who used to leave comments here as "Scott12XU" but has since gone off to listen to his Orange Juice records, I think.


Buzzcocks (live, Holland '79) -

"Everybody's Happy Nowadays"

"What Do I Get?"

"Promises"

(these files are now listen-only)


10 comments:

Lightning Baltimore said...

Orange Juice? When it's not too difficult to get ahold of some tasty Josef K? I don't understand . . .

Brushback said...

It's just another one of those "inside jokes". Not to mention Scott also had a HUGE crush on Clare Grogan...

Anonymous said...

"Not to mention Scott also had a HUGE crush on Clare Grogan..."

I think I might have a photo of him caught staring at HER breasts too!

Brushback said...

Apparently Scott's lust for Clare Grogan knew no bounds.

theneedledrop said...

The Buzzcocks. Approved!

ib said...

Nothing wrong with listening to Orange Juice and Postcard Records. Scott = "Poor Old Soul".

Brushback said...

Scott's a pretty good guy, only now he's gonna find this post and I'll never hear the end of it.

Anonymous said...

Dave:
Substitute "Mission of Burma" or "Swervedriver" for Orange Juice and you'll be in the ballpark. Yeh, I was a poor old soul back in CT. Now you know why I live in the midwest. Saw the movie "Control" last night. Let's just say had I stayed in CT any longer I would have ended up down the same path. As for my not posting anything anymore, I remember a saying that went "The sound of one's own voice is not always appreciated by others." Now that I also have Asperger's Syndrome (no shit), I take sayings like that literally. I passed on a Embarrassment reunion about two and a half years ago in Lawrence, KS (a month after we relocated here in fact) because I thought it was a permanent reunion - nope. (Also found out there was a mini-Mortal Micronotz reunion set at the same venue the same night - argh).

Giev my best to the Anthrax crew. Don't miss CT that much and I'm sure the feeling is mutual

Brushback said...

No, I'm pretty sure it was Orange Juice.

Scott, the Anthrax crowd loved you, especially that time you were handing out A Dying Gymnast stickers to Ray Cappo during Youth of Today's set. Shit was memorable.

Brushback said...

The mp3 files on this post are now listen-only (non-downloadable) files. For those of you who missed the boat, I will do my best to respond to any e-mailed requests for the original files.