Friday, September 12, 2008

If You Can't Learn From History It's Your Own Damn Fault

click for enlarged view

I just got my mitts on the new Safes CD today, and man, it's a corker. Joe Stumble once wrote about The Safes, "They balance BIG power-pop hooks with punk drive," and since Joe's one of the few blog writers whose stuff is actually worth reading, I'm not gonna even try to improve on his dead-on description. I will say that The Safes' last album, "Well Well Well", is one of the best Kinks/Cheap Trick-styled rock albums of all time (if you ask me), and the five songs on "Sight of All Light" keep the string going while also bringing back the harder edge found in some of The Safes' earliest stuff; it's a total win-win, if you want to put it that way. Also, I'm no expert, but it sounds like all three brothers sing lead at some point on this EP, which I think is a first.

I'll put up the title track for downloading, since Joe's blog (Last Days of Man on Earth) already posted it as an mp3 months ago. I'm also gonna put up a couple of the other songs from the CD as listen-only files, including "Unlock The Mystery", which is probably my favorite of the bunch. I know you can't download them (boo hoo) but go ahead and click on them anyway, they're good to go and they include a picture and everything so they're kinda cute. Then do me a favor and grab a copy of this CD when it comes out at the end of the month.


click for enlarged view

The Safes -

"Sight of All Light"

"Unlock The Mystery"

"Greed"

(all these files are now listen-only)




While I'm at it, I'll also include what's probably my favorite Safes song up til now-- "Not To Keep", the leadoff track from their 2003 debut "Family Jewels". Careful, this one smokes:




The Safes -

"Not To Keep"

(this file is now listen-only)


click for enlarged view

thesafes.com
The Safes on MySpace

No comments: