Saturday, May 9, 2009

I'm Pissing Down All My Love

click for enlarged view

There's no doubt in my mind that Change Zine was the best zine ever printed in Connecticut. I mean, for a hardcore zine it was basically untouchable. I don't have any of the issues anymore, but I do have three of the records Patrick West put out-- two 7"-ers (including this one), and a Simpsons tribute CD which is really a lot better than it sounds.

Fanzine EPs were pretty common back in the 90's, with most of them just stapled to the inside of the zine within a stock white paper sleeve, almost like an afterthought. There was definitely some extra effort put into this record, though, including a picture sleeve with two different inserts, with the inside of the sleeve and the inserts hand-stamped with a Change Zine logo just for the heck of it. On top of that, the songs from each band (Today is the Day and The Automatic Few) are bookended between movie soundtrack excerpts (that's what the "Conan" and "Unforgiven" credits on the sleeve and label are referring to) as well as soundbites taken from interviews with each of the bands, so each side of the record is like its own little episode.

I trimmed all of the excess audio from the Today is the Day track so that the mp3 you'll find here is pretty much just the song (I still saved the full track, in case anyone wants to hear it). I didn't feel like ripping the Automatic Few song on the other side, but it's actually pretty good for a demo-- sorta Fugazi/Hot Water Music sounding.


Today is the Day -

"Kill Yourself"

(this file is now listen-only)





click for enlarged view


click for enlarged view





click for enlarged view

1 comment:

Brushback said...

The mp3 file on this post is now a listen-only (non-downloadable) file. For those of you who missed the boat, I will do my best to respond to any e-mailed requests for the original file.