Saturday, February 12, 2011

I Don't Expect You To Understand, But Try Anyway



This has been one of my favorite 45s ever since I bought it at Brass City Records back when it first came out... absolutely one of the craziest, most fucked-up recordings of a rock 'n roll song that I've ever heard. Nothing on "Big Soul" (the LP that followed afterwards) came close to living up to this 45, so I sorta stopped paying attention after that, an admitted lapse in judgement on my part... so much of what came out in the '80s that was labeled garage rock was pretty cruddy (affected older dudes with their Voxx amps and dutch-boy haircuts) and a lot of the zines that wrote about that stuff kinda sucked, so it wasn't easy to sort out what was good or not. "Just 14", though, was definitely way towards the good... go to youtube and look up "tripping ballz", if you're not a dick you'll laugh.




The Original Sins -



14 comments:

Holly said...

I LOVE this, too. One of my fave 45s ever!

Brushback said...

Yup, it's a ripper. You always know the good stuff!

check out this for a chuckle -

trippin' ballz

~

Holly said...

Oddly, I just recently purchased a fabo cd-r from Brother JT himself (Any Stort in a Porm), and was listening to it last night while cleaning litter boxes.

That's actually a HUGE recommendation, btw! ;-)

Brushback said...

I just went and looked up "Any Stort in a Porm" and was surprised to find it on eMusic... some of it's sorta funny ("I Still Like Cassettes").

The guy's got so much stuff out... I've never even heard most of it..

Brushback said...

"I'm not so sure I'm on board with Christian Rock... they seem (ironically) SOUL-LESS"

friggin' hilarious

Holly said...

Screw emusic - the real deal has 16 tracks.

Nonetheless, I did buy the cd for 'Celebrate your Face', which is available on the emusic partial. Yeah I like me some glam rock!

Brushback said...

I had an eMusic subscription once for about 8 months, but I ended up cancelling it because they kept screwing with the agreement and cutting the songs you could take down to half.

It still can be a good place to hear songs before you buy a record, though.

Holly said...

I love to beat dead horses... I cannot find the 7in version of 'Sugar Sugar' anywhere on the web, & the lp version pales in comparison. You wouldn't happen to have a rip, would you?

I also SWEAR that I'm going to replace my dead turntable soon. And figure out Audacity.

Brushback said...

Nah, I didn't rip "Sugar Sugar". I don't think I've ever listened to it all the way through, it sounds like it's just John by himself.

Holly said...

Well, if you ever wanted to give me a birthday present or something...

Brushback said...

Well, since you put it that way, I suppose I could make a rip of it someday and e-mail it to you. I don't remember the song being very good, so don't be disappointed!

Brushback said...

I've switched the mp3 link over to a "listen-only" file.

Also, I still owe Holly her song.

Holly said...

My birthday's not til December, you have plenty of time :-)

Brushback said...

If you mean December 2012, I'll probably get to it