Sunday, January 18, 2009

If I Knew Where I'd Die I'd Go There Every Day

click for enlarged view

Saturday night there was a big indie show in Norwich, and that in itself was kind of amazing to me, since I used to live in Norwich long ago (senior year of high school/first year of college), and it was a pretty bleak town back then. It's still a shithole now, of course, but a slightly nicer-looking shithole at least.

The show was hosted by Wonderlust at the so-called Donald Oat Theater, which is a bit less than a traditional theater but more like a loft space on the third floor of a building in what used to be the seedy welfare hotel section of downtown Norwich, but overall things were cool. Only that I forgot to bring my camera charger and so my battery crapped out before Werewolf Police played, which was kind of sucky.

Werewolf Police didn't get to play for very long anyway, going on last and getting squeezed for time because of it, but they managed to quickly rip through their 5 or 6 best songs, including a new one that practically veered into supersonic rock territory, at least for them (helped along by the second guitar player, who has really beefed up their sound). It's been a while since the last time Werewolf Police have played a show, so when they started off with "Birds" and "Silver Eagles", you almost can't imagine how good it was to hear those songs played out loud again. Their new album, "Ruin My Night", is finally out, with two variations of handmade sleeves, so check out the Goodnow web site where I'm guessing they should soon have ordering information for that.


click for enlarged view

Wonderlust were the real revelation last night; this was the first I've heard of 'em, but I can say that if you ever were a fan of any of the '90s Danbury noise pop acts like Monsterland and Her Tears, you should run to see this band the very next chance you get. I had a really brief period once where I felt that Boyracer had to be just about the best pop band ever, and this stuff tickles that exact same spot. I don't think I've ever been floored as much by an unknown-to-me Ct. band the first time seeing them them as I was by Wonderlust last night. As it happens, a total of seven bands played for nearly four hours, and Wonderlust's "Wolves" was the best song I heard all night.

If Wonderlust were from New Haven they'd have been written up more times that the Tyler Trudeau Attempt by now, but as it is they're from the New London area, which has had a solid indie scene for decades now but has never really gotten the respect it deserves. The song I'm posting below doesn't do their amazing guitar sound any justice at all, but they're working on more new stuff now, so hopefully that'll do the trick.


click for enlarged view

I'd thought Brava Spectre were more '90s emo spazzcore crossed with Lightning Bolt the first time I saw them, but last night their playing seemed a little more stretched out, into Slint/Don Cab territory. I still have no clue what any of their songs are, or even what song they're playing while I'm standing there watching them. Whatever, it was good. I don't think there are too many bands that can leave their skin on the floor and have your ears ringing like these guys can, so I'm just glad that they're from around here.

Post-Modern Sounds were about as sloppy as I've ever seen 'em, and also about as good as I've ever seen 'em, which is how that works sometimes. They were also one of only two bands last night that ended up having to use the stage, meaning bad angles so that their photos came out the crummiest (sorry about that). Book Slave had a new CD-R with them, which they had just finished putting together literally that day (bringing the fresh stuff!); I still have to listen to it a few more times, but so far it's pretty good.


Brava Spectre -

"Trust Us, We're Doctors"

Werewolf Police -

"Telescope Girl"

Wonderlust -

"Comfortable Real Estate"

Book Slave -

"The World in a Bad Mood"

Post-Modern Sounds -

"Machine Made Man"

(these files are now listen-only)



click for enlarged view


click for enlarged view


click for enlarged view




click for enlarged view

click for enlarged view


click for enlarged view

click for enlarged view

click for enlarged view

click for enlarged view


3 comments:

theneedledrop said...

Thanks for the comment on my Marked Men post. I wanted to show you this:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=99395415

It's a NPR story about Ardent Records, the birthplace of Big Star. It's got some really cool backstory about the pop music scene at the time and the band. Enjoy!

Brushback said...

Hey, thanks for the heads up.

That Marked Men song ("Ditches" or whatever it is) is pretty great. I've had it on my mp3 player for a few weeks now.

Brushback said...

The mp3 files on this post are now listen-only (non-downloadable) files. They're now being hosted on my Vox page, where you can find three more Wonderlust songs, a few more Book Slave songs, and a whole bunch of other stuff (just click on any of the above listen-only links and start searching around).