Monday, April 27, 2009

So I Didn't Notice

click for enlarged view

I was on the Tic Tac Totally web site not too long ago, probably looking up a Charlie & The Moonhearts record or something, when Static Static's "Psychic Eyes" started blasting out of their media player and I was like, "Holy crap, how great is this?" As it happens, Static Static's LP had come out "officially" just a few days earlier (there was a limited tour edition last year sometime), so I ordered one up on the spot, of course.

"Psychic Eyes" (the title track) puts a ripping Man or Astro-Man type guitar part alongside a massive organ riff and makes it sound like the coolest spy-movie theme ever. The stoopidly-written Tic Tac press sheet compares Static Static to Volt a lot, and I guess I'll have to take their word on that. To me, this sounds more like what people were telling me the Lynnfield Pioneers sounded like, before I actually bought one of their records and found out people weren't always right. Although "Capsized", in fact, sounds so much like Lynnfield Pioneers that I think somebody might owe someone a check.


click for enlarged view

Static Static -

"Psychic Eyes"

(this file is now listen-only)


10 comments:

ib said...

This 'rawks' and then some.

Brushback said...

I've been trying not to over-use the words ROCK, ROK, and RAWK lately, but I haven't been having much luck with that.

ib said...

It's one of those words, for sure. A tad Led Zeppelin, perhaps ?

Whatever. Good shit, anyway.

Brushback said...

Oooh, man, Led Zeppelin. You had to come back with that one, didn't you.

ib said...

Yes. I know they're unspeakably AOR. I can't help but like them, though.

Actually, there's a touch of Sonic Youth about "Psychic Eyes".

Brushback said...

Yes. I hadn't paid much attention to Sonic Youth since "Daydream Nation", and didn't realize what a "rock" band they'd become, until recently when I started listening to them again because their new record's on Matador. Now I see how every band pretty much stole something from Sonic Youth (who stole heavily from The Stooges, besides Branca, but that's another story).

ib said...

Glenn Branca ?

Brushback said...

Yeah, Glenn Branca.

Here's one Static Static song that I think sounds a lot like Lynnfield Pioneers.

Static Static, "Capsized"

ib said...

Thanks for that, Brushback. I know, of course, of the Theoretical Girls but I'm nowhere up to speed.

Brushback said...

If you own any Theoretical Girls stuff then you're way ahead of me.