Monday, April 27, 2009

So I Didn't Notice

click for enlarged view

I was on the Tic Tac Totally web site not too long ago, probably looking up a Charlie & The Moonhearts record or something, when Static Static's "Psychic Eyes" started blasting out of their media player and I was like, "Holy crap, how great is this?" As it happens, Static Static's LP had come out "officially" just a few days earlier (there was a limited tour edition last year sometime), so I ordered one up on the spot, of course.

"Psychic Eyes" (the title track) puts a ripping Man or Astro-Man type guitar part alongside a massive organ riff and makes it sound like the coolest spy-movie theme ever. The stoopidly-written Tic Tac press sheet compares Static Static to Volt a lot, and I guess I'll have to take their word on that. To me, this sounds more like what people were telling me the Lynnfield Pioneers sounded like, before I actually bought one of their records and found out people weren't always right. Although "Capsized", in fact, sounds so much like Lynnfield Pioneers that I think somebody might owe someone a check.


click for enlarged view

Static Static -

"Psychic Eyes"

(this file is now listen-only)


11 comments:

ib said...

This 'rawks' and then some.

Brushback said...

I've been trying not to over-use the words ROCK, ROK, and RAWK lately, but I haven't been having much luck with that.

ib said...

It's one of those words, for sure. A tad Led Zeppelin, perhaps ?

Whatever. Good shit, anyway.

Brushback said...

Oooh, man, Led Zeppelin. You had to come back with that one, didn't you.

ib said...

Yes. I know they're unspeakably AOR. I can't help but like them, though.

Actually, there's a touch of Sonic Youth about "Psychic Eyes".

Brushback said...

Yes. I hadn't paid much attention to Sonic Youth since "Daydream Nation", and didn't realize what a "rock" band they'd become, until recently when I started listening to them again because their new record's on Matador. Now I see how every band pretty much stole something from Sonic Youth (who stole heavily from The Stooges, besides Branca, but that's another story).

ib said...

Glenn Branca ?

Brushback said...

Yeah, Glenn Branca.

Here's one Static Static song that I think sounds a lot like Lynnfield Pioneers.

Static Static, "Capsized"

ib said...

Thanks for that, Brushback. I know, of course, of the Theoretical Girls but I'm nowhere up to speed.

Brushback said...

If you own any Theoretical Girls stuff then you're way ahead of me.

Brushback said...

The mp3 file on this post is now a listen-only (non-downloadable) file.