Sunday, March 7, 2010

They Got Your Test Results Encrypted

click for enlarged view

Whatever Tyvek might sound like on their records (some sort of half-bred mix between "Pink Flag", The Fall, and Sonic Death is my guess), live at Cafe Nine on Friday they were like the embodiment of a 1981 Dischord or Touch and Go single. The songs were disintegrating as you were hearing them, as if the thrust of the songs was what was important but not the actual notes themselves, which weren't being played right anyway. Musicians suck and shitty-sounding music rules, which means on this particular night it was Tyvek 1 and guy standing right behind me 0 (some guy behind me was complaining about the guitar sound most of night, saying something about how Valley of Kings were good because their Telecasters always sounded clean, so I guess he didn't go home too happy).

The four Tyvek tracks I'm posting somewhat further down the page are from a cassette of trashy-sounding demos that came out recently on Fag Tapes; it's one of the best things I've ever heard in my life, though if you don't like your music all shitty and muffled then you should probably approach with caution. (I haven't heard the Siltbreeze LP that everyone's been complaining about, but if you're looking for a better place to start than these four songs, you should get your hands on "Fast Metabolism" by any means possible.) Tyvek also brought with them a recording of their show in Rochester just two nights earlier; I don't know how they managed to package it together so quickly, but for 4 days only (maybe five) I'll leave a link to it here:

Tyvek - Live in Rochester, NY 3/3/10.mp3


click for enlarged view

I consider myself lucky to have seen Medication once in each of the past two years. Mikey writes some of the best songs on the planet, and even though the Medication "This Town" LP came out on HoZac at the very end of December, I'm still gonna count it as a 2010 release for my list at the end of the year. Medication live is a bit different from the Medication recordings that you might've heard so far; with an added drummer and Stefan (Estrogen Highs) on second guitar, the songs take on a whole 'nother life. If you want you can just be still and bliss out, or you can stamp your foot to the floor and keep on chooglin, but either way a Medication live set is totally mesmerizing. If you haven't picked up the Medication LP yet then you should probably get on it-- the first couple hundred are said to be on colored vinyl, although I didn't get one of those (boo hoo). I only noticed just this past weekend that it's out on CD, too, which surprised the heck outta me.


click for enlarged view

Since skipping out on headliners is my "thing" I wasn't going to hang around for Awesome Color, but their drummer seemed really cool during the few minutes I spent over by the merch table, and then while they were plugging-in the bass player made a joke about being a Gorilla Biscuits cover band called "Start Today", so I decided to stick around for a little bit. And, hey, turns out Awesome Color are a metal band-- go figure. Or, they sound like Hawkwind and Pink Fairies, at least. I'd only heard one song of theirs before and it was kinda indistinct and all over the place, but there's a brand new mp3 out there (I think they call it a "focus track" now) called "Transparent" which is pretty damn fierce. So, Awesome Color started off their set on Friday night with "Transparent", or at least another song that sounds just like it, and right away I was digging them a whole lot, but then after 4 or 5 more songs that sounded like "Transparent" or at least another song that sounds just like it I actually started to get a little bored, so I left. I did buy one of their records before I left, though: a 7" with a nice silkscreened color sleeve that I guess just came out even though it was recorded in '08, since mine's #12/300. That's the a-side of the single, "Flying", that I've posted below-- it's kinda Died Pretty/Celibate Rifles-ish, the more I listen to it.


Tyvek -

"4312"

"Pricks In a Car"

"Underwater To"

"Nothing Fits"

Medication -

"Your Heart"

Awesome Color -

"Flying"

(all of these files are now listen-only)


click for enlarged view


click for enlarged view


click for enlarged view


click for enlarged view

click for enlarged view


click for enlarged view


click for enlarged view

click for enlarged view


click for enlarged view


click for enlarged view


click for enlarged view


click for enlarged view


click for enlarged view


click for enlarged view


11 comments:

PB said...

How many folks are in Tyvek nowadays?

As a 5 piece, they were a might roar. But the last time I saw them, they were down to the 3-piece and not nearly as thrilling.

Brushback said...

Four people. Cafe Nine's stage is like a closet, so it would've been funny seeing five people up there (not that it hasn't been done before).

Tyvek also had the largest merch table I've ever seen for one band (Awesome Color brought a ton of shit, too - it was like a flea market). I bought a couple things, but they had about 12 different tapes, including two box sets, and I'm wondering because of that if I missed out on anything really good...

Pick you spots, and this band's still got the goods.

theneedledrop said...

Such an awesome fucking show, and I was happy I saw you there! Sorry I wasn't feeling my best though. I wasn't feeling too social because I've been sick all week. But that was the third time I've seen Awesome Color live, and it was totally worth it. I got their new 7'', too. It's fucking rad!!!!

Brushback said...

Manic's bringing the goods with their shows so far this year. I'm not sold on Awesome Color, though the single is a bit more interesting than what little else of their stuff I've heard...

The sleeve alone made the 7" worth buying.

CT Indie said...

The Medication LP is a beautifully clear and orange.

Brushback said...

Mine's friggin' black! No big deal-- I actually wasn't even going to bother opening it since I've been listening to the mp3's that I got thanks to some douche-pickle before the record came out.

john smif said...

Man I saw Awesome Color open for block party a few years back and it was probably the worst band I saw in 08. Good to see theyve improved, I should have went.

Brushback said...

Wait... what??? You saw Bloc Party, and you're saying that another band was worse than them? NEGATED!!

Anonymous said...

can someone reup that live set? or the rest of this tape?

Brushback said...

Sorry, I didn't rip the whole tape so what's up here is pretty much all I have. I'm sure some other blog out there has posted the whole thing by now, though-- that's how these thing usually go...

If you send me an e-mail, I could probably e-mail back the live set.

Brushback said...

The mp3 files on this post are now listen-only (non-downloadable) files. No backsies.