Saturday, December 4, 2010

I Have No Gifts To Bring



Holiday-themed posts aren't usually my thing, although last week I posted a Thanksgiving one ("Wishbone Fight") and not one of you even mentioned it. Seeing as I'm not one to learn from experience, I'm going to go ahead with a Christmas carol now, even though Christmas carols are pretty lame. I mean, it's hard to listen to "Little Drummer Boy" without picturing Bing Crosby and David Bowie standing together and wishing you were there to take 'em both out with a hand grenade. Luckily, Rifle Sport's version doesn't come off like complete shit; Gerard Boissy's guitar is set to full blast, and with Todd Trainer kicking the crap out of his drums, this actually sounds pretty rocked, like it coulda been on Motley Crue's "Shout at The Devil" or something. Endnotes: 1) Rifle Sport are one of the best bands to come out of the Midwest back in the '80s (it's true, you can look it up). 2) Back cover hastily retouched so that Photobucket doesn't have one of their usual shit fits, sorry.




Rifle Sport -

"Little Drummer Boy"





5 comments:

Jules said...

Ha! The back cover is in fact a famous picture of Albini. After Chris Johnson made a girl out of him, he went and sprouted the "antithesis of hair on his chest." Naturally this version of "Drummer Boy" had a less than Christian meaning.

Brushback said...

I could've sworn the front picture is Albini, too. At least, those look like his sneakers.

Anonymous said...

Sorry children, but the man with the drum-head is Todd Trainer. I know this because I WAS IN THE FUCKING BAND, MAAAAAN.

Brushback said...

Okay, so I decided to do a little research. Note that Todd Trainer's sneakers aren't tied in this photo, just like the sneakers on the Rifle Sport sleeve:

Breaking Circus

Hmmmmm....

Pretty stylin', in any case.

Brushback said...

The mp3 file on this post is now inactive.