Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Maybe I Can Get On The Letterman Show

click for enlarged view

If you passed on "We're Not So Smart" when I posted it back in February, here's one more chance to check out the greatness that is Couch Flambeau. And it's not just "They rock!!" or "They have a song called 'Satan's Buddies'!!", it's "They rock and they have a song called 'Satan's Buddies'!!" Or something like that.

I know, a band from a Midwestern cow town overrun by Norwegians, playing non-ironic hard rock behind a guy with an annoying voice half-speaking instead of singing really does sound like a misplaced concept, but "Models" is ten times better than "Slapped Actress" and "Song With a Message" is way better at name dropping. I mean, when it gets to the part about the Dummy Club ("they're good, though-- best demo we got this fall, or whatever") and the guy named Gerard, I'm totally mesmerized, really. Plus Jay Tiller is on speaking terms with Satan! Stick that, Sonic Youth Craig Finn!!

This record originally came with a sticker on the front of some blurbs from sub-par mags like Forced Exposure, Wam, and Sound Choice ("How it must perturb them to see Couch Flambeau take the music they take so seriously and toss it around like a psychopathic kitten with a ball of Play-Doh"), which must've fallen off my copy.


click for enlarged view

Couch Flambeau -

"Models"

"Satan's Buddies"

"Song With a Message"

(these files are now listen-only)



click for enlarged view


click for enlarged view

7 comments:

ib said...

What great songs! And what an incredible fucking sleeve.

Couch Flambeau ? Give me more!

Brushback said...

Check out "We're Not So Smart" from my earlier post, you might start laughing to yourself (especially if you were in a band)...

ib said...

I just listened in to "We're Not So Smart". Outstanding stuff. I think you have succeeded in sewing the seeds for least one new Flambeau Fan here in Glasgow.

I was even able to withstand the sheer remedial dumbness of "Mississippi Queen"; the cowbells helped, admittedly.

Brushback said...

"Mississippi Queen" is an old Mountain song (70's hard rock band), though maybe you knew that...

ib said...

News to me, so thanks for the info. I've heard of Mountain, vaguely, but never really checked them out.

Brushback said...

Mountain = super heavy Deep Purple type stuff, you probably needn't concern yourself with it at this point... tho "Mississippi Queen" is one of the all-time great riffs, seriously. Leslie West!

Brushback said...

The mp3 files on this post are now listen-only (non-downloadable) files. TOUGH LUCK, CHARLIE! No, actually, for those of you who missed the boat, I will do my best to respond to any e-mailed requests for the original files-- as long as you're not such a hump about it.