Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Hey, I'm Drunk

click for enlarged view


Phil Harder joined Breaking Circus for a while as a second guitar player after "The Ice Machine" was released; after his days in Breaking Circus were over, he went on to form Big Trouble House. Not unlike a lot of other Chicago/Minneapolis bands of that era, Big Trouble House have a sound that's pretty similar to Bastro (especially in Harder's Grubbs-like vocals), or the whole Rapeman/Shellac axis, or a dozen bad late-80's SST bands, take your pick.

"Watered Down" is supposedly Big Trouble House's best record, or so says Jack Rabid in the Trouser Press Record Guide. If I had to give my own opinion on what part of Big Trouble House's output is my fave, it would probably be this note scrawled by "Derek" on the inner paper sleeve (presumably drummer Derek Hoppe):

click for enlarged view

"Hey I'm drunk I'm stuffing all these Fuck it Derek"

Never let it be said that the drummer isn't the best part of any band, except when they sing, like the Eagles or Grand Funk or Volcano Suns, which can kinda suck.


click for enlarged view

Big Trouble House -

"Watered Down"

"Eden Rock"

(these files are now listen-only)


click for enlarged view


click for enlarged view


click for enlarged view

1 comment:

Brushback said...

The mp3 files on this post are now listen-only (non-downloadable) files. For those of you who missed the boat, I will do my best to respond to any e-mailed requests for the original files.