Thursday, January 7, 2010

I Thought You Were Different

click for enlarged view

Here's one that I can guarantee almost none of you have ever heard of before. I never would've heard of Spunk Davis either, except that Spunk Davis guitarist Henry Donahue also ran the Really Fast Racecar record label that put out the Special Pillow 7" in '95, which I posted a while ago. I liked the Special Pillow record enough back then that I mail-ordered a few more things from the label, and this single was one of the records that I ended up with.

Well, it turns out that "High Tide" is a really good punkish/power-pop number, sorta like The Who's "Pictures of Lily" sped up with an MC5/Halo of Flies riff, although it doesn't sound quite that dirty. Or maybe I'm just grasping at straws here. Click on it, and then you tell me. Then put this one on your next '90s mix tape and stump your friends.


click for enlarged view

Spunk Davis -

(this file is now listen-only)

"High Tide"


click for enlarged view





click for enlarged view

2 comments:

fantom said...

Hell, I've got the full length (but there are couple stray tracks I'm trying to track down). They weren't bad live either. Recommend Splendora full length as well - not sure what was on the single.

Brushback said...

Out of the handful of people that read this blog, I never would've figured that one of them would own the Spunk Davis CD... that's awesome