Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Please Kill Yourself So I Can Rock



Walk into any of the decent-sized pawn shops around here and you'll find a huge used CD section, stocked not with every Linkin Park CD as you might expect, but every low-level 90's indie rock band imaginable. I'm not talking just major label "modern rock" crap like Squirrel Nut Zippers and Tripping Daisy, either (although there's plenty of that too); surprisingly, I've seen a lot of actual independent-label CDs, like SpinArt and so forth, all for around 50 cents each. It's almost as if someone broke into Jack Rabid's house and took everything but the pink sofa.

One of the things I found at a pawn shop once is this Love 666 CD single, which I had to buy-- not that I'm a big fan of Love 666 or anything, but finding an Amphetamine Reptile CD at a pawn shop in East Hartford for 50 cents was too weird to pass up (I didn't even think AmRep had stooped to making radio promo-only CDs in the '90s, I thought they were still making just cool stuff like the Thrown Ups compilation). After listening to the CD, I realized that it wasn't even worth the 50 cents. The pawn shop where I bought it is now out of business, like it should be.


Love 666 -

"Bummer"

"Ball & Chain"


2 comments:

jeffen said...

I laughed at the pawn shop description, though I've never seen Jack Rabid's couch.

Brushback said...

Well, it just seems like he oughta have a pink couch, since he's such a colorful guy.