Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Now You're Beaten

click for enlarged view

Some of you are probably laughing now because I'm posting Dropkick Murphys, but back when this EP came out they were still a credible punk band, rather than the undignified shills for the Boston Red Sox pseudo-punk band for lame college wannabes to get their drunk-on to easily-dismissed joke that they are now. For that, I'll offer that this single has an unlisted cover of Iron Cross' "You're a Rebel" (it's credited off in the margins), and when "Curse of a Fallen Soul" first came out I played that one track to death. I'll even own up that I thought "Do or Die" was pretty cool-- I still crack that one open every now and then, though it's been a while-- and the last Tune Inn show that I ever went to was the Dropkick Murphys in '00. The place was so packed that I had to stand on one of the PA columns in order to take pictures, and a couple of them came out pretty good (the "whole crowd pumping fists and pointing in one direction" thing), although that roll of film is long gone now. I once had some pretty good Farmertan and Grand Passion photos from the Tune Inn, too-- wish I coulda kept 'em.


click for enlarged view

Dropkick Murphys -

(this file is now listen-only)

"You're a Rebel"


click for enlarged view


click for enlarged view


click for enlarged view

7 comments:

Jere said...

The Tune-Inn talk got me thinking of the Pist footage I shot there (part of which I made into a wacky joke video starring Malcolm), and while searching for it, I found more video from the same show here. Notice at around the 27 second mark, lil' Tommy Guilty Perk-Faces, standing next to Al on stage, starts snapping pics of him! With one of those wind-up cams! It's like when baseball photogs in the 40s would just come right up to the batter while he was hitting. Funny stuff by Tom. I wonder if he still has those pics.

Brushback said...

Holy cow, I wonder if those pictures could've been any good.

Brushback said...

Once again, Jere comes through with the big round-tripper...

Bruce Foster said...

I did really like "Do Or Die" too, but haven't spun it in quite a while. I think in part because I had an ex that loved it and was really annoying, and is now Mrs Ben Weasel.

Brushback said...

The Thai Food That Pop Punk Bought!!

Bruce Foster said...

"...didn't go down bitter. hell, it was free dinner, my pockets ain't too deep, I'm an innovator, wake him fro an uneasy sleep, and bill the imitator, yeah."

Brushback said...

The mp3 file on this post is now a listen-only (non-downloadable) file. TOUGH LUCK, CHARLIE! No, actually, for those of you who missed the boat, I will do my best to respond to any e-mailed requests for the original file.