Thursday, July 30, 2009

A Countdown To What I Don't Know

click for enlarged view

Tuesday night (geez, over a flippin' week ago) was another night spent at the Whitney House, though I only hung around long enough to catch the two openers-- locals Swear Jar and Dead Uncles-- and then split before the touring bands hit the stage (something Red Scare something-or-other, you can google it if you want). Swear Jar were good, very good; in fact, they might be my second-favorite new Ct. band I've seen so far this year, after Wonderlust. Hearing their recordings will correct me on this, I'm sure, but Swear Jar have a sorta Dylan Bredeau screamy pop punk thing going on, though a bit more ironed out, and their melodies were smooooth. I'm looking forward to their first demo tape, which is supposed to be out this weekend when they host a house show with Delay and (yïk) Andrew Jackson Jihad.

Dead Uncles had a bit of a sound problem for their first couple of songs-- turns out Swear Jar had turned all the knobs down but didn't tell anyone about it-- but their rest of their short set (6 or 7 songs, maybe?) was sweet. Dead Uncles were supposed to have a 7" out by now, or at least in time for their tour in August, but the test pressing got rejected, thus the wait. The band did release "Wayward Nowhere" from the record as a preview track a couple of months ago, and I like it a lot-- especially the rifle shot snare hits at the beginning, and the breakdown in the middle-- so here it is.


click for enlarged view


Dead Uncles -

(this file is now listen-only)

"Wayward Nowhere"


click for enlarged view


click for enlarged view


click for enlarged view


click for enlarged view

6 comments:

Jere said...

Wow, a Morton Salt tattoo. How about a Morton Salt tattoo, but with Mort Sahl's face in place of the girl's?

Brushback said...

How in the hell did you notice that tattoo??

caren said...

it's definitely a jawbreaker nod!

also, i am 98% sure tapes will be out this sunday

Brushback said...

Delay better have some friggin' tapes, too! I am exercising my rights as a consumer!

Jere said...

"How in the hell did you notice that tattoo?"

I clicked, and then I clicked again. Once I was at the "pretty sure" stage after looking at the to pic, it jumped right out at me in the bottom pic without enlargifyin' needed.

Brushback said...

The mp3 file on this post is now a listen-only (non-downloadable) file. I'm pretty sure you can still download it from the Dead Uncles blog ("We Weren't Meant For Free Time"), or from their LastFM page.