Wednesday, August 27, 2008

I've Been Thinking A Lot About What You Said



With the upcoming "Hindsight Is 20/20" compilation CD about to digitize all of The Ergs! vinyl 7-inchers anyway, I figured now it would be okay to post my favorite Ergs 7" out of the 5 or 6 that I have. Besides, people buy pop punk records to collect all the different colors, and not to actually listen to the songs or anything like that.

I've said before-- don't ask me when or where-- that the best Ergs songs sound like "Whole Lotta Rosie" and "Kids Don't Follow" welded together, and "Blue" is one of those songs. The main thing about The Ergs!, apparently, is that they listen to a whole bunch of different music ("Mike laments that he only owns twenty-two Frank Zappa albums... I swear he listens to all of it for the sheer pleasure of knowing that no one else does.. These guys are crazy fucks who love SST records. They listen to the most obscure, most eclectic range of music I've ever heard," as the liner notes to "Dorkrockcorkrod" so famously put it), so with the flipside, "Blew", it seems like The Ergs! are attempting to bring another shitty band (Nirvana, hilariously credited as the "John Ritchie Band" on the label) into respectability, though in this case that's not actually possible.


click for enlarged view

The Ergs! -

"Blue"

"Blew"

(these files are now listen-only)


click for enlarged view


click for enlarged view



click for enlarged view

While I'm at it, from the Ergs/Lemuria split, here's The Ergs! cover of "Hey Jealousy" by the Gin Blossoms, who're about the only band from that whole '90s "Modern Rock" debacle who put out a CD that I can still stand to listen to, though that could change pretty quick.


The Ergs! -

"Hey Jealousy"

(this file is now listen-only)


7 comments:

Brushback said...

Wheee! I dig those run-on sentences!

jeffen said...

Thanks - I always want to like the Ergs more than I actually do but "Blue" is great.

Brushback said...

The Ergs! are nuts, though it seems like they don't connect with a lot of people-- it took me seeing them at a show to fully figure out their greatness...

I've got the yellow vinyl version of "Dorkrockcorkrod" that I might post some tracks from eventually, now that the label (Don Giovanni) says it's sold out.

jeffen said...

(I sent the first version of this inot the ether and don;t know where it landed)

Someone must compile their best songs onto a comp (Y'know "Ergonomics: Ergs for Beginners - sorta thing.)

Brushback said...

Actually, the "Hindsight Is 20/20" compilation of all the Ergs 7"-ers (due out soon) sorta does that...

Brushback said...

The mp3 files on this post are now listen-only (non-downloadable) files. For those of you who missed the boat, I will do my best to respond to any e-mailed requests for the original files.

You can still find both of these 7"-ers for sale, though who knows what colors are left, either through Toxic Pop or No Idea or wherever.

Brushback said...

By the way, the Vox files include one more song ("Introducing Morrisey") which wasn't included in the original blog post.