Sunday, May 18, 2008

I'm Really Out Of It



As I've said before, like with the Monkees and the Bee Gees, if a band's going to have 15 or 20 singles out then you might as well try owning at least one or two*... I actually used to own a heckuva lot of Fastbacks singles, and I don't think I got even close to having a full set. I've only got a few left now, though, and (duh) this is one of them.

So-- two great songs on this, neither of them penned by Kurt, although they're each cool in their own different way. "Wait It Out" has no real verse to it, just an odd percussive organ bit and some strummed guitar parts that I swear remind me of Dinosaur's "Forget The Swan" at times; then when that crunching riff kicks in for the chorus, you start thinking, "Hey, this is pretty neat!" On the flip, "The Jester" (written by sometime-Fastbacks drummer Rusty Willoughby) starts with an almost straight-up Ramones rip, and ends with an extra hook thrown in just to be sure.

This comes in a pretty deluxe gatefold sleeve that includes a message on the spine: "That was pretty good, now how bout some Rock and Roll." Seems kinda dumb, but it beats the standard "Hey buddy, what the fuck are you looking at?", I guess.




Fastbacks -

"Wait It Out"

"The Jester"

(these files are now listen-only)












*This didn't make much sense the first time I wrote it, either

No comments: