Sunday, December 14, 2008

It's A Ron Kinda World

click for enlarged view


When ib hoisted up a post about "Goo" a couple of weeks ago I knew I had to get around to this one more sooner than eventually, if only for the hilarity factor alone. "It's A Ron Kinda World" easily checks in as one my three favorite Prisonshake single sides, with "Deanna" and "Almost Christmas" being the other two contenders, and might even take the top spot depending upon whichever one I've listened to last.

Not only is the rock fairly deftly accomplished here, but the way the refrain starts out as an almost inaudible hiss before building up to a near shout just slays me, and the one-liner lyrics ("It's not that I'm apathetic, dear/It's just that I don't care") are pretty much a hoot also.

"Recorded no less than on three different occasions, hence the Freddy Blassie inscription (you must find his 'King of Men' LP, you'll die). If you slept through 1991 you might not know that the cover apes Sonic Youth's 'Goo', though originally we were going to call it 'Poo'. The vinyl was supposed to look like someone jerked off in it, but it didn't really come off." - Robert Griffin, Scat Records Quarterly #7

click for enlarged view

Prisonshake -

"It's A Ron Kinda World"

(this file is now listen-only)





click for enlarged view


click for enlarged view


click for enlarged view

4 comments:

ib said...

"I stole my sister's broccoli...
snapped one off and hit the road."

Pretty funny! Yeah, admittedly the one-liner lyric too hits tha nail on the head with the whole bohemian ennui shit.

I might just have to link back to this post...

Brushback said...

"Bohemian ennui shit", that kinda sums me up.

theneedledrop said...

Fucking mint.

Brushback said...

The mp3 file on this post is now a listen-only (non-downloadable) file. TOUGH LUCK, CHARLIE! No, actually, for those of you who missed the boat, wait til Scat releases the comp of all the old Prisonshake stuff and then you'll be all set.